Bioinformatics and Biology Insights (Jan 2009)

Gene Expression Based Leukemia Sub-Classification Using Committee Neural Networks

  • Mihir S. Sewak,
  • Narender P. Reddy,
  • Zhong-Hui Duan

Journal volume & issue
Vol. 3


Read online

Analysis of gene expression data provides an objective and efficient technique for sub-classification of leukemia. The purpose of the present study was to design a committee neural networks based classification systems to subcategorize leukemia gene expression data. In the study, a binary classification system was considered to differentiate acute lymphoblastic leukemia from acute myeloid leukemia. A ternary classification system which classifies leukemia expression data into three subclasses including B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia, T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia and acute myeloid leukemia was also developed. In each classification system gene expression profiles of leukemia patients were first subjected to a sequence of simple preprocessing steps. This resulted in filtering out approximately 95 percent of the non-informative genes. The remaining 5 percent of the informative genes were used to train a set of artificial neural networks with different parameters and architectures. The networks that gave the best results during initial testing were recruited into a committee. The committee decision was by majority voting. The committee neural network system was later evaluated using data not used in training. The binary classification system classified microarray gene expression profiles into two categories with 100 percent accuracy and the ternary system correctly predicted the three subclasses of leukemia in over 97 percent of the cases.