Evaluation of visual triage for screening of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus patients

New Microbes and New Infections. 2018;26:49-52

 

Journal Homepage

Journal Title: New Microbes and New Infections

ISSN: 2052-2975 (Online)

Publisher: Elsevier

LCC Subject Category: Medicine: Internal medicine: Infectious and parasitic diseases

Country of publisher: United Kingdom

Language of fulltext: English

Full-text formats available: PDF, HTML

 

AUTHORS

S.H. Alfaraj (Corona Center, Infectious Diseases Division, Department of Pediatrics, Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Hospital, Ministry of Health, Saudi Arabia; University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada)
J.A. Al-Tawfiq (Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia; Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA; Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA)
P. Gautret (Aix-Marseille Université, Unité de Recherche sur les Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales Emergentes (URMITE) UM63 CNRS 7278 IRD 198 INSERM U1095, Marseille, France)
M.G. Alenazi (Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Emergency Department, Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Hospital, Ministry of Health, Saudi Arabia)
A.Y. Asiri (Critical Care Department, Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Hospital, Ministry of Health, Saudi Arabia)
Z.A. Memish (College of Medicine, Alfaisal University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Infectious Diseases Division, Department of Medicine, Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Hospital, Ministry of Health, Saudi Arabia; Corresponding author: Ziad A. Memish, College of Medicine, Alfaisal University, P.O. Box 54146, Riyadh 11514, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Tel.: +966-50-5483515; fax: +966-11-2616464.)

EDITORIAL INFORMATION

Peer review

Editorial Board

Instructions for authors

Time From Submission to Publication: 8 weeks

 

Abstract | Full Text

The emergence of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in September 2012 in Saudi Arabia had attracted the attention of the global health community. In 2017 the Saudi Ministry of Health released a visual triage system with scoring to alert healthcare workers in emergency departments (EDs) and haemodialysis units for the possibility of occurrence of MERS-CoV infection. We performed a retrospective analysis of this visual score to determine its sensitivity and specificity. The study included all cases from 2014 to 2017 in a MERS-CoV referral centre in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. During the study period there were a total of 2435 suspected MERS cases. Of these, 1823 (75%) tested negative and the remaining 25% tested positive for MERS-CoV by PCR assay. The application of the visual triage score found a similar percentage of MERS-CoV and non–MERS-CoV patients, with each score from 0 to 11. The percentage of patients with a cutoff score of ≥4 was 75% in patients with MERS-CoV infection and 85% in patients without MERS-CoV infection (p 0.0001). The sensitivity and specificity of this cutoff score for MERS-CoV infection were 74.1% and 18.6%, respectively. The sensitivity and specificity of the scoring system were low, and further refinement of the score is needed for better prediction of MERS-CoV infection. Keywords: Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), Saudi Arabia, Scoring, Visual triage