What was the original structural plan of the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady in the Căpriana Monastery?

Tyragetia. 2013;VII(2):129-134

 

Journal Homepage

Journal Title: Tyragetia

ISSN: 1857-0240 (Print); 2537-6330 (Online)

Publisher: National Museum of History of Moldova

LCC Subject Category: Auxiliary sciences of history: Archaeology

Country of publisher: Moldova, Republic of

Language of fulltext: German, Russian, Romanian; Moldavian; Moldovan, French, English

Full-text formats available: PDF

 

AUTHORS

Vlad D. Ghimpu

EDITORIAL INFORMATION

Peer review

Editorial Board

Instructions for authors

Time From Submission to Publication: 30 weeks

 

Abstract | Full Text

The Church of the Assumption of Our Lady in the Căpriana Monastery is the oldest of the existing monuments of religious architecture, built in the gospodars' tradition of the medieval Moldova. Many elements of its architecture have been preserved from the time of Stephen the Great (1457-1504) and Petru Rareş (1527-1538, 1541-1546), in spite of extensive reconstruction, which was carried out in 1819-1820. However, as a result of the reconstruction the current structure of the church does not match the description given in the XIX century. The question of the original structure of the Church of the Assumption of Our Lady in the Căpriana Monastery remains unresolved and requires further investigation.