Archives of Public Health (Nov 2021)
Complementary feeding practices and associated factors among mothers of children aged 6-23 months in Ethiopia: Secondary data analysis of Ethiopian mini demographic and health survey 2019
Abstract Background Optimal nutrition in early child’s life plays a vital role in improving mental and motor development, reduces the possibility of contracting various infectious diseases and related deaths, decreases the risk of obesity, and fosters better overall development. However, 45% of deaths in children under five years of age that occur globally is attributed to nutrition-related factors and the majority of these deaths occur in low-and middle-income countries. Therefore, this study aims to assess complementary feeding practices and associated factors among mothers of children aged 6–23 months in Ethiopia. Method The study used the Ethiopian mini demographic and health survey 2019 data. A two-stage stratified cluster sampling technique was used to select 1465 mothers of children aged 6–23 months in Ethiopia. Two-level multilevel mixed-effects logistic regression model analysis was computed, and variables with p-value of less than 5% and an adjusted odds ratio with a 95% confidence interval in the final model were reported as statistically significant factors with appropriate complementary feeding practice. Result The overall prevalence of appropriate complementary feeding practice among mothers of children aged 6–23 months was 9.76%. In our study, mothers who attended primary[AOR = 2.72; 95%CI: 1.47–5.01], secondary[AOR = 2.64; 95%CI: 1.18–5.92] and higher school[AOR = 5.39; 95%CI: 2.29–12.64], being from medium income household[AOR = 2.89; 95%CI: 1.41–5.92], attended 1–3 times ANC visits in index pregnancy[AOR = 0.41; 95%CI: 0.18–0.89], mothers who have 12–17 months[AOR = 1.96; 95%CI: 1.16–3.33] and 18–23 months old children[AOR = 2.61; 95%CI: 1.49–4.54], currently breastfeeding mothers[AOR = 3.69; 95%CI: 1.73–7.91], mothers from pastoralist contextual regions[AOR = 0.29; 95%CI: 0.09–0.91], and mothers who have resided in rural areas[AOR = 0.49; 95%CI: 0.25–0.97] were factors significantly associated with appropriate complementary feeding practice. Conclusion This study showed low prevalence of appropriate complementary feeding practice. Therefore, the concerned health authorities need to strengthen the existing approaches designed for provision of nutrition education particularly targeting mothers who are unschooled, who have 6–11 months old children, live in pastoralist regions and reside in rural parts of the country, and create strategies that improve maternal job opportunities.