Merojské královské město ve Wad Ben Naga // The Meroitic royal city at Wad Ben Naga

Pražské Egyptologické Studie. 2015;(14):121-135

 

Journal Homepage

Journal Title: Pražské Egyptologické Studie

ISSN: 1214-3189 (Print); 1801-3899 (Online)

Publisher: Univerzita Karlova, Filozofická fakulta

LCC Subject Category: Auxiliary sciences of history: Archaeology

Country of publisher: Czech Republic

Language of fulltext: Czech, English

Full-text formats available: PDF

 

AUTHORS

Pavel Onderka (Podsbírka pravěku a starověku Předního Asie a Afriky, Ná- rodní muzeum – Náprstkovo muzeum asijských, afrických a amerických kultur)
Vlastimil Vrtal (Podsbírka pravěku a starověku Předního Asie a Afriky, Ná- rodní muzeum – Náprstkovo muzeum asijských, afrických a amerických kultur)

EDITORIAL INFORMATION

Double blind peer review

Editorial Board

Instructions for authors

Time From Submission to Publication: 30 weeks

 

Abstract | Full Text

Almost two thousand years ago, Wad Ben Naga was one of the most important centres of the so-called Island of Meroe. The ancient city developed on the right bank of the Nile, to the north of Wadi Kirbikan, at a distance of ca. 80 km upstream from Meroe, the capital of the Mer - oitic kingdom. The site gained its significance through its highly strategic location, controlling numerous trade routes meeting at the site. At the same time, it formed a southern limit of one of two core areas of the kingdom, stretching between Meroe in the north and Wad Ben Naga in the south. A settlement of a considerable size existed at Wad Ben Naga already at the turn of the Napatan and Meroitic periods. In the early Meroitic period, it developed into a royal city and distinctive administrative centre. In its heyday, around the beginning of the Christian era, the city went through an intensive building boom, namely during the reigns of Queen Amanishakheto, King Natakamani and Queen Amanitore. Today the archaeological site covers circa 4 km2 and can be divided into three main zones: Central Wad Ben Naga with the ruins of the ancient city, and the Northern and the Southern Cemeteries. Since 2009, the National Museum of the Czech Republic has carried out archae - ological research at the site. During the research, re-excavation of structures unearthed by the Sudanese expedition of Thabit Hassan Thabit, active at the site between 1958 and 1960, was carried out. In the past three years, the expedition has focused on the excavation of the socalled Typhonium, identified as a temple dedicated to the goddess Mut.